Electronic tax refund means taxpayers send VAT refund applications and receive settlement results thereof via web portal of the General Department of Taxation, without having to submit documents directly to taxation offices. Dossiers, documents, notices and decisions related to tax refund settlement process are sent by taxpayers to taxation authorities and vice versa via the taxation authority's web portal.
According to the General Department of Taxation, from January 1, 2023 to April 20, 2023, number of enterprises taking electronic tax refund procedure is 3,855 out of total 3,874 enterprises applying for tax refund, accounting for 99%; number of electronic tax refund dossiers is 5,347 out of total 5,369 dossiers, reaching 99%; number of e-tax refund dossiers settled via the system is 4,787 with total refunded amount more than VND 33,551 billion.
Currently, taxpayers can register for electronic tax refund on e-Tax System (http://thuedientu.gdt.gov.vn) of the General Department of Taxation, including registering, preparing, submitting tax refund applications to taxation authorities and then receiving notices on their dossiers settlement electronically.
According to the General Department of Taxation, electronic tax refund is a new step in line with the laws, integration process of Vietnam and the country's developing information technology capacity and level. Electronic tax refund creates transparency for both businesses and taxation authorities, minimizes negative effects.
Electronic tax refund brings about various benefits to taxpayers and taxation authorities:
- Saving time and manpower in submitting tax refund applications, clarifications and supplementary documents in comparison to doing directly or by post: taxpayers can prepare and send VAT refund applications or clarifications or supplementary documents through web portal of the General Department of Taxation.
- Saving time and manpower in receiving notices and decisions of taxation authorities: notices/decisions of taxation authorities arising during VAT refund settlement process are sent to taxpayers through web portal of the General Department of Taxation. It helps to reduce time (compared to sending by post) and manpower (for receiving directly at taxation offices).
- Increasing publicity and transparency of VAT refund settlement at taxation authorities: tax refund settlement process at taxation authorities is continuously updated on web portal of the General Department of Taxation to help taxpayers know the status of their tax refund dossiers.
- Minimizing taxpayers' direct contact with taxation authorities, thereby reducing negativity in the VAT refund settlement process.
- Taxpayers are provided with electronic tax refund dossiers storage and searching service with high security on the General Department of Taxation Portal.